All forms of back pain are not created equal. Knowing what is causing the pain is important in order to know when to seek to treatment. A common cause of back pain is sciatica, which results from strain or pressure on the sciatic nerve from several possible causes. Dr. Jason Miller, a chiropractor in Attleboro, MA, offers diagnostic and treatment options for sciatica and other chiropractic injuries and conditions that affect the neck and spine.
Treatment for Sciatica in Attleboro, MA
The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body. It connects the spine to the legs and feet and spans the length of the lower body from the bottom of the spine down the back of the legs to the base of the feet. Sciatica refers to symptoms that result from compression or injuries to the sciatic nerve.
The most common symptoms of sciatica include:
- Low back pain that radiates from the lower back and through the buttock and back of the leg (most often on either the ride or left side but rarely both at the same time)
- Pins and needles sensation
- Numbness or weakness in the affected leg while walking or standing
- Sharp/shooting pain while walking or standing
Symptoms vary and generally depend on the location of injury along the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is made up of a bundle of several nerve roots that pass through the lumbar (lower) spine and sacrum. Compression along one nerve root may cause pain and weakness in the feet, while another will cause lower back and/or leg pain.
Some of the most common causes of sciatica include:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Isthmic spondylolisthesis
- Sacroiliac joint problems
Find a Chiropractor in Attleboro, MA
If you are suffering from symptoms of sciatica or other forms of back pain, contact Miller Chiropractic Health Center by calling (508) 226-2333 to schedule a consultation today.