Think there's nothing you can do about that nagging pain in your neck? Our Attleboro, MA, chiropractor, Dr. Jason Miller, discusses common causes of neck pain and explains how chiropractic treatment can reduce your painful symptoms.
Why does my neck hurt?
Neck pain can occur due to a variety of reasons including:
- Injuries: Whiplash, an injury that often occurs as a result of a car accident, can cause neck pain for weeks after your accident. Although whiplash is a common cause of neck pain, any injury that strains your neck can be responsible for your symptoms.
- Herniated Disk: Herniated discs press on nerves in your neck, causing pain that radiates from your neck to your arms and hands. A herniated disk may also reduce your range of motion and cause numbness and tingling.
- Posture Issues: Pain isn't always caused by an injury or condition, but may occur if you have poor posture. Your posture may suffer if you spend hours in one position at work every day or frequently tilt your head to look at your cell phone.
- Osteoarthritis: Neck pain can also be caused by arthritis in the bones of your neck.
- Spinal Stenosis: Spinal stenosis occurs when the nerve pathways inside your vertebrae start to shrink, resulting in pressure on your nerves. In addition to pain, you may also experience numbness if you have this condition.
- Stress: Stress can cause the muscles in your neck and upper back to become stiff and tight.
How does chiropractic treatment reduce neck pain?
When you visit our Attleboro office, we may recommend a variety of treatments that can relieve your symptoms, including:
- Neck Manipulation: Using gentle pressure, we will perform adjustments to your cervical spine and correct the alignment of your neck. Manipulations can improve range of motion, promote healing and reduce muscle stiffness.
- Massage: No matter what the cause of neck pain, surrounding muscles often become stiff and tight: Massage not only loosens muscles and helps your neck and upper back muscles relax, but increases blood flow to the area, which can be very beneficial in the healing process.
Chiropractic care offers an effective, all-natural solution to neck pain. Call our Attleboro, MA, chiropractor, Dr. Miller - Miller Chiropractic Health Center, at (508) 226-2333 to schedule your appointment.